The premise of Malcolm Gladwell's book The Tipping Point--that little causes can have big effects--applies in the home as well as it does in the business world. As a wife and mom, the majority of my days are filled with routine and seemingly unimportant moments. But the choices I make in those moments become habits and, eventually, who I am. I desire to be a mature Christian, a loving wife, and a purposeful mom, but my hopes and desires alone aren't going to make it magically so. I can, however, see each day as another chance to lay a brick in the foundation of my heart, my home, and my relationships. With time, my small choices can have the big effects I want, not necessarily by willpower, but by surrendering myself to the Lord and letting him grow fruit in my life.
Have you considered what small things you can do that can have big effects in your life and your home?
- Get up 20 minutes earlier in the morning to spend time with the Lord
- Plan a menu for the week or month
- Read a challenging book instead of a magazine
- Make it a point to tell your kids what they did well and tell them you love them
- Fold the laundry or unload the dishwasher as an act of love for your family
- Go for a walk
- Sit on the couch with your husband and talk for 30 minutes after the kids go to bed
- Welcome your husband and children home with a kiss, hug, and joyful spirit
- Think about how you're going to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas purposefully
- Create a daily family tradition
- Meet a heart friend for coffee
- Initiate getting together with someone you want to learn from
- Rest well
- Make space in your life to do something you are passionate about
- Do family devotionals
- Go to bed at the same time as your husband
- Turn off the TV
- Set a routine date night
- Be still and quiet and listen
- Don't listen to fear
I'll be talking more about a few of these and why I try to do them.
What small things make a big difference in your life?
Which one(s) from the list above are you most interested to incorporate into your life?