Hi and welcome to Grace Covers Me! My name is Christine Hoover. I am married to Kyle, who is the pastor of a church we planted in Charlottesville, Virginia in 2008. Together we have three boys, so I am forever surrounded by Legos, Star Wars minifigures, interesting smells, and sports equipment.
When I'm not corralling kids or serving alongside my husband in ministry, I am writing and speaking. The grace of Christ upended my legalistic life over a decade ago, and ever since, I've been passionate about exploring and sharing about how that grace impacts every inch of life. Here's how I'm doing that (and how you can join me!):
Sometimes we don't even know we feel a certain way or believe a certain thing until someone puts words to our thoughts and emotions. On this blog, my goal is to not only give voice to the honest (and often unrevealed) thoughts we all have, but to also shine a light of grace and truth into those innermost parts of our hearts. Below are some introductory posts to help us get acquainted. If you'd like a little grace to pop into your inbox once a week, I invite you to subscribe here. Everyone who subscribes by email gets a complimentary copy of my ebook, 31 Days of Love Letters: Searching Scripture for How God Loves!
- Raise Your Hand
- The Everyday Question of Motherhood
- Two Words to Stop Self-Condemnation
- Questions from Pastor's Wives: How Do I Respond When People Leave Our Church?
- Who Pours Into You?
- How to be a Good Sounding Board for Your Husband
- When the Internet Says Your Life is Small
- Go First
I've written two published books, one of which addresses how the gospel informs leadership and service and the other how it informs our daily lives.
- First up is The Church Planting Wife, which details our personal experience planting a church and offers help and hope to wives of church planters who are plowing fields all across the globe in Christ's name. This book is just the "friend" and cheerleader you need if you are a church planting wife, but I've also been told it's helpful to anyone in ministry. Grab your copy at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Christianbook.com.
- My second book, From Good to Grace: Letting Go of the Goodness Gospel, debunks the false gospel of saved by grace, sanctified by trying hard and illustrates how the gospel of Christ applies to our lives after salvation. It asks, "How do we walk by faith?" and "How do we grow?" This book is for the woman drowning in self-condemnation and wondering where all the promised joy can be found in the Christian life. Purchase your copy at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Christianbook.com.
- My third book, Messy Beautiful Friendship, is releasing in April 2017. It explores the complexities and joys of adult friendship among Christian women. I can't wait for you to have it in your hands! Preorder your copy on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Christianbook.com.
- Also? I love to read. Here's a list of my favorites.
- The first is Partners in Ministry: Help and Encouragement for Ministry Wives. You can find out more about the ebook here or purchase it on Amazon or iTunes for $2.99.
- The second is Partners in Planting: Help and Encouragement for Church Planting Wives. You can find out more about the book here or purchase it on Amazon for $2.99.
Outside WritingIn addition to my blog and books, I regularly contribute to Desiring God, Flourish (an online resource for ministry wives), and For The Church. My work has also appeared on The Gospel Coalition, New Churches, Christianity Today, and Outreach.
I love getting to share gospel truths with other women through my writing but also face-to-face. If you're looking for a speaker for your women's gathering, feel free to contact me to check my availability.
I'm glad you've found my little corner of the web. I enjoy writing and it's my prayer that God uses these words to bless, challenge, and encourage you. If you could use a fresh dose of grace in your life each week, I invite you to subscribe to my blog (by email, Feedly, or Bloglovin), follow me on Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram, or connect with me on Facebook. Thank you!